Thursday, September 29, 2016

Cambodian Customs

Having had some cultural training this week through Greg's workplace, we realize there will need to be some big changes in our daily habits. The same day we came out of the session armed with new information, we found ourselves making faux pas, but at least realizing it once the social blunders occurred. If anything, we've learned that Cambodians are gracious, understanding and willing to help us learn.

Cambodians are softly spoken and expect conversation to be so. In other words, Greg and I being loud mouths need to tone it down about 75%. When one of us realizes the other is talking too loudly, we gently nudge the other and there is a decrescendo in volume. We will see how long the nudges stay friendly and appreciated. :) In saying that, we purchased some shelves from a very loud sales lady today who did not appreciate my bartering techniques. Apparently, she is Chinese Cambodian and they are not as soft spoken.

Pointing your feet towards anything is completely rude. When I learned this, I didn't think it would be a problem. Surely I don't use my feet in such a manner. I left training and immediately met with our landlords to talk about painting our home and you guessed it, used my toes to point to the colour in the floor tile I wanted to match. When sitting, it is polite to tuck your feet behind you so they do not point at anything. It's a lot to think of when you're not accustom to giving thought to your feet. 

Always use two hands to give and receive things. I never use two hands to exchange money, credit cards or anything that does not require it because of its size. Well, now I have to. I am improving in this area.

I quite enjoy the greeting, "Sompiah" with two hands together and little bow. I am even learning the high pitched intonation. I quite enjoy watching Greg bow to everyone.

In conversation, regardless of the topic, Cambodians converse with a smile. This will be a challenge for Greg whose natural facial expression does not include a smile, to put it mildly. I really hope Amy Leyonhorst is reading this paragraph and dying with laughter over Greg conducting all business with a sweet smile.

The top of one's head is sacred and never to be touched. I think that will be easy to remember although I was about to touch the top of a sweet baby's head the other day. 

This weekend is a holiday weekend. It feels a little like Christmas as everyone is leaving the city in buses to head to their villages and celebrate with their families. Although the holiday begins tomorrow, many of the road side shops were closed for business as we traveled around the city today.





My observation is that polite Canadian culture and polite Cambodian culture are a good recipe to get along.






2 comments:

  1. even before you mentioned my name, i snorted out loud when i read this: "in conversation, regardless of the topic, Cambodians converse with a smile. "knowing how impossible that would be for poor Greg. ha ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we thought Canadians were polite! I am sure you and Greg will do just fine and smiling does become a habit really quickly!

    ReplyDelete