Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Asian Awakening

In the past, when I have described our travels throughout Asia, I have used the phrase, "an assault on one's senses". As I reflect on that statement, I realize this is exactly what I love about experiencing life in Asia. When your senses feel assaulted, all of the sudden you experience life in a new and exciting away. It's like your entire body is awakened to things you hadn't realized had become dormant. 

Tastes

Food is the obvious subject of awakened tastes. Since a lot of our Asian living experience was centered in Bangladesh, I had certain expectations regarding living in Cambodia. I loved Bangladeshi curry, dhal and veggies but nothing ever quite tasted like home and there was a lack of variety in our diet. We are having the exact opposite experience in Phnom Penh.

 The fruits and vegetables available at the market are outstanding. We are currently enjoying delicious mandarin oranges, bananas, amazing watermelons, passion fruit, mangoes, dragon fruit, apples and the list goes on. Fruit is not picked under ripe and is therefore fresh and delicious. 




The local food is amazing and was what we experienced when we would travel out of Bangladesh for vacation. I do not tire of huge bowls of Pho. The Cambodian curries are delicious and very different than the curry we're used to. If we are feeling Western, there are delicious and affordable cuts of meat and many people use a slow cooker here to keep the heat out of the kitchen. People have grills in their front yards and we hope to purchase one soon.




In Dhaka, the breads always tasted a bit mouldy. The flour wasn't quite right. There are amazing bakeries here - chains such as Tous les Jours and other artisan bakeries. There is no shortage of anything thus far!




Cambodia is a culture of eating out. The locals grab breakfast on their way to work, eat at the food stalls for their lunch, dinner and snacks. We have enjoyed the street food and it's about $1 for a plate of rice, pork and veggies or a bowl of steaming Pho. Sometimes we pick up a chicken on the way home and I serve it with Swiss Chalet sauce, but Mr. Chicken has a few extra body parts that aren't exactly appetizing! The constant eating out has lost some of its charm, to be quite honest. Greg likes coming home to my cooking and I like that, so I'm cooking up a storm these days. I made a roast pork with sweet potatoes, ($2 for the pork!), fettuccine carbonara and a big salad, wings and potato salad - lots of "normal" stuff. 




There are coffee shops everywhere. Name brands - like Starbucks and Gloria Jean's and there are street stalls that make amazing iced coffee. (the ice is clean) All of the coffee shops have a hip, modern industrial look to them. It's nice to simply bring your computer and enjoy a morning at the coffee shop.

All this to tell you, we are not hurting for food. It kind of feels like we are on a permanent vacation in terms of our new diets. ( we are not eating any sugar though)

Sight

Part of having your senses awakened is seeing everything with fresh eyes. When you live outside of your culture, there is something new to witness continually. Some might tire of this, but both Greg and I find it fascinating. It might be witnessing something weird on the road, like a guy sleeping on top of a load of fresh garlic or something completely sad and revolting, like the homeless man we saw defecating at the river.




There are interesting styles to see every day. Since Cambodia is a young population due to their sad history, there are many hipsters. The crowd that is hip and fashionable is easy to spot. Then, there is the older crowd that wears PJ's out in public. They aren't really PJ's but they are a printed, bright matching shirt and pants. Greg is dying for me to get a pair. Not happening. There is also the monk population, robed in bright orange with bald heads.






Traffic alone is an exercise is awakening sight and sounds! Although Phnom Penh is missing the beggars, goats, cows and rickshaws of Dhaka traffic, it is a crazy flow of traffic that is entertaining each time we are out. Currently, we are using Tuk Tuk's to get around but we will likely get a moto or a car in the near future. It's easy to transfer our licences, but I can't imagine ever figuring out the flow of traffic in this city. My friends drive motos and if they can do it, so can I!







There are new things to see and witness everyday. Nothing feels routine, boring or normal, awakening our sense of sight to new experiences.

Smells

If some of you visited here, you would likely found there to be foul smells. Again, we are experiencing Phnom Penh with Bangladesh experience and there's no place in the world that smells like Dhaka Caca. When we are out and about, there is the occasional whiff of sewage or garbage, but as a whole, it even smells good some places. Passing nurseries and gardens always provides a floral scent and passing deep fried banana stalls is enough to make one salivate. The other day, I had a strong smell of licorice as we drove down the road, which has given me a craving for string, red licorice if anyone can find some and get it to my kids for me! I don't like Twizzlers but the old fashioned shoe string licorice. :)

Sound

We live in a neighborhood, called a "borey", that is surrounded by a big, golden Temple. (called a Wat) As a result, we sometimes hear singing, chanting and preaching over the loud system as the Buddhists gather together. It was quite loud when we first arrived but that was due to an important religious festival.





At night, we hear the dogs in the neighborhood barking and just like home, car alarms go off. Traveling at night, we can hear the frogs as we pass wet places and one day a large toad greeted me at my front door! I was going to kiss it just in case it was Tia's prince waiting to meet his mother in law. 

Our neighborhood is very quiet and once school is out for the day, it comes alive. There are children from many different nations who gather to play basketball, ride their bikes, go the park, roller blade and some even come to visit me at my house. It's really fun to play with kids and make them snacks and simply send them home after!

Traffic is quite loud with the constant hum of motos. Once in a while, there is a horn beep creating a traffic symphony. You don't notice the sound when traveling in an air conditioned vehicle, which we often bum rides in from our friends the Portelas. 




Touch

Although not related to Asia specifically, our experience with touch in Asia has been related to sleeping in new beds with new linens. We knew the importance of a comfy bed from our Bangladesh days and so we brought sheets from home. However, we've been pleasantly surprised at how comfortable our comforter and pillows are that our dear friend Taara had purchased before our arrival. 

I was reminded of the importance of touch when I was in the hospital. Being so ill, I remember the young, Thai surgeon placing his hands on my arm and giving it a little squeeze to assure me that I was going to pull through. Despite cultural differences, the male emergency nurse, grabbed my hands in comfort when he saw me return to the ER with a leaky wound. Human touch is a beautiful, comforting thing and a simple hand squeeze reminded me of my humanity,my need to be touched and that comfort could come from a complete stranger. Here he is carefully removing my gorgeous diamond rings for surgery. The guy's a genius. At home, they'd probably cut my rings off.




Finally, as prayers were lifted on my behalf literally all around the world, I was never more aware of the touch of God on my life. I felt surrounded by a comforting, loving God and He drew very near to me in my scary moments. I wouldn't trade those moments of pain and fear because I felt the hand of God on my very soul. If that doesn't wake one up, I don't know what will!




Are you feeling dull and bored? Are you looking to feel excited about life again and awakened to new experiences? Well, I have three guest rooms just waiting to be filled...what are you waiting for?

6 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blogs. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I love the way you reflect on your experiences and let us in on your thoughts. So glad the Lord has brought you healing!

    -Dave F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, this made my day Mr. Franz! I feel like I got a
      good grade from my high school teacher. :) Miss you guys and cannot wait for your visit!

      Delete
  2. Just makes me more excited to come and visit because I love that kind of assault on the senses! Love you - so glad you're better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah. Sounds lovely. I guess you have all the piano positions tied up ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always a place for the Bird's! Your kids would have a lovely life here. Maybe JB can get a Uni job here! xxx

      Delete